The man who mend women
feature documentary film
Sakharov Prize 2014, Nobel Peace Prize 2018 with Nadia Murad, Dr. Mukwege is internationally known as the man who repairs these thousands of women who were raped during 20 years of conflict in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, one of the poorest countries in the world, but with an extremely rich subsoil.
His constant struggle to put an end to these atrocities and denounce the impunity enjoyed by the perpetrators is disturbing.
He is the object of a new assassination attempt, which he miraculously escapes.
Threatened with death, this doctor with an exceptional destiny was now confined to his hospital in Bukavu, under the protection of the Blue Helmets.
But he is no longer alone in his struggle. At his side, these women, to whom he has restored their physical integrity and dignity, have become true peace activists, thirsty for justice, thanks to him.
(source: Les films de la Passerelle)
Technical data sheet
Director : Thierry Michel
A film by : Colette Braeckman and Thierry Michel
Production : Les films de la passerelle, Ryva Productions
Produced by : Christine Pireaux and Eric Van Zuylen
Year of production : 2015
Music : Edo Bumba and Michel Duprez
- Magritte 2016 for the best documentary
- Golden Butterfly “a matter of act” 2015 at the International Human Rights Festival
- Special Prize for Human Rights 2015 at the International Documentary Film Festival
- Audience Award 2015 at the International Documentary Film Festival
- Documentary 2015 – Vues d’Afrique Award
- 2015 Human Rights Award – Vues d’Afrique
- Television 2015 award at the Avanga film festival
- Audience Award 2015 at the Ciné Droit Libre
- Grand Jury Prize 2015 at the Guadeloupe International Festival
- Special mention of the 2015 jury at the La Ciudad International Documentary Film Festival
- Audience Prize 2015 at the Algiers International Film Festival
- Humanum Prize 2015 of the Union de la Presse Cinématographique Belge